Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

MongoDB Input usageReport Types/Tool names

GGodfrey
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all,

I am hoping to make use of the MongoDB usageReports collection to do some reporting on Alteryx Designer usage. The incoming data contains a "Type" column which determines the type of usage data being presented. I have found a description of these types on the AlteryxGallery MongoDB Schema page, but when I make the query myself, I receive types 17 and 19 which are not listed on this page. Is anyone aware of what these types represent?

My second question is regarding the data for individual tool usage - I am trying to report on the frequency of tool/tool palette usage, but some of the JSON values being returned are not clear as to what tool they are referencing. They are:

AlteryxBasePluginsGui.DbFileInput.DbFileInput
AlteryxBasePluginsGui.DbFileOutput.DbFileOutput

AlteryxGuiToolkit.GenericTool.GenericTool
AlteryxGuiToolkit.HtmlBox.HtmlBox
AlteryxGuiToolkit.Questions.Tab.Tab

Could anyone tell me which tools these represent?

Any help is much arppreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
orlopcrabby
5 - Atom

What is your workflow doing? Can you share some of the screenshots/tools being used?

Uploading to server as an app? Or a workflow?

If an app, maybe an action tool isn't configured correctly?

Hard to tell without more info.

penalty kick online

marcusblackhill
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @GGodfrey 

Unfortunately I don't know the answer for the 1st question but I suggest to you open a ticket to support@alteryx.com asking that.

For the second, I'm not totally sure but looks like:

AlteryxBasePluginsGui.DbFileInput.DbFileInput  - In-DB input
AlteryxBasePluginsGui.DbFileOutput.DbFileOutput  - In-DB output

AlteryxGuiToolkit.GenericTool.GenericTool   - don't know that one
AlteryxGuiToolkit.HtmlBox.HtmlBox - doesn't look as a tool, that maybe be a label you used in your interface
AlteryxGuiToolkit.Questions.Tab.Tab - doesn't look as a tool for, that can be the tab configuration for the interface in the interface Designer.

I'm not sure of the statements above but would be good to you check if they make sense to you.

GGodfrey
6 - Meteoroid

I have logged a support call regarding my 1st question and am waiting to receive a response. I will be sure to update here with any new findings.

As for my 2nd question, I managed to find a resource within the Alteryx Server usage report macro that has a mapping from the tool name within the MongoDB logs (i.e. AlteryxBasePluginsGui.DbFileInput.DbFileInput) to the tool palette the tool is contained in. I have gone through this list and included some missing tools (new tools, CReW macros etc.), amended the tool palette field mapping (there were several incorrect values), and created a Tool Name field where possible which I have verified by placing specific tools and then checking the log files to confirm the name held within MongoDB. For anyone interested, here is the Excel file I have created with these mappings.

marcusblackhill
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Thanks for sharing your finds @GGodfrey !

GGodfrey
6 - Meteoroid

If anyone is interested, I have been informed by Alteryx support that the page detailing the MongoDB schema for the usageReports collection is out of date:

GGodfrey_2-1649065287239.png

The correct list of possible Type values for this collection is as follows:

GGodfrey_1-1649065246996.jpeg