Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Merging 4 values and sobstitute with one new one

SIMOANTO
5 - Atom

Hi guys,

I have a problem, I did some interviews (more then 5k people) and I clustered their answers in more then 100 fields with their relative weight. Now I need to substitute 4 of this fields with one new field that has as a weight the avg of the four fields.

The situation As is:

customer 1

filed 1  weight x

filed 100  weight x

Custumer 2

field 1           weight x

field 100    weight x

Customer 5k

What I would like

Customer 1

fiels 1 weight x

field 97 weight (avg of 97-98-99-100)

Customer 5k

fiels 1 weight x

field 97 weight (avg of 97-98-99-100)

Do you think is possible?

Thanks a lot in advance

S

1 REPLY 1
AmeliaG
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @SIMOANTO,

Yes, this is certainly possible. In order to multiply the response by the weight, please make sure the response fields are in a numeric format (such as double). You can manually update data types with the 'Select' tool. 

To create a new calculated field, use the 'Formula' tool, if all of the responses for a single user were on the same line.

If the response for each field is on a different line, I would:

1. Use a Join tool to join the weights to the response with the field number as the key field. 

2. Use the formula tool to create a new field (i.e. weighted response) which will be equal to weight multiplied by response

3. Use a summarize tool to sum for each user. (Group By: UserID, Sum: Weighted Response)

Does this make sense? If no, please send me sample data and I will build an example. 

Thanks!

Amelia

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!