Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

How to run the workflow from Current Alteryx sever instead of node server

alt_tush
9 - Comet

Hi,

I have a Alteryx server from where we have deployed multiple projects on Alteryx gallery.

Architecture of the server is developed based on worker node basis.

If there are multiple processes run on worker server through Gallery then some of the workflow redirect to node server and run from node server.

My query is, there is any way to avoid particular projects to redirect to node server and it only run from main Alteryx gallery server.

I don't want to redirect that project and run from node server.

Please suggest.

Thank you,

6 REPLIES 6
PaulNo
10 - Fireball

Hi @alt_tush,

Do you work with job tags already? This would allow you to run jobs only on certain workers.

Reference:

From help: https://help.alteryx.com/current/server/worker

Extract:

Job Assignment: A specific worker can be assigned to run a job. First, add a job tag for the worker, and then select that job tag when creating a schedule or running a workflow.

• Run unassigned jobs: Select this option to use the worker to run jobs that have not been assigned a job tag.
  • Job tags: Add words that can be used to assign a specific worker to run a job. Separate multiple job tags with a comma. The same job tag can be added to multiple workers.

From Community: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server/Job-Prioritization-and-Worker-Node-Assignment/ta-p/3...

Hope that helps,

Best,

PaulN

alt_tush
9 - Comet

Hi PaulN,

Thank you for your reply.

I never worked with tag.

Can you please explain me how to tag the workflow and run the workflow from worker instead of node.

Thank you in advance 🙂

PaulNo
10 - Fireball

Hi @alt_tush,

To use job assignment, following is needed:

1. Configure each worker to decide what tags they will accept (and if they can accept a job without any tag):

To proceed, in Alteryx System Settings, Worker, General, Job Assignment, specify the list of tags to use with this worker:

PaulNo_0-1594645968756.png

2. In Alteryx Designer, when you will save a workflow to the Gallery or schedule a workflow, specify the Worker Tag assigned to the job:

PaulNo_1-1594646029934.png

This will ensure that workflow is run only on worker nodes configured to accept these tags.

Best,

PaulN

alt_tush
9 - Comet

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your quick response.

I did the first step where To proceed, in Alteryx System Settings, Worker, General, Job Assignment, specify the list of tags to use with this worker:

But in second step same tag is not populated in Tag dropdown while saving the workflow to the gallery.

Can you please tell me if I am missing anything.

Thanks again 🙂

PaulNo
10 - Fireball

Hi @alt_tush,

Just to clarify, is the field not populated or disabled?

If field is not populated, verify that you have restarted Alteryx Service after changing the configuration on the worker (aka in Alteryx System Settings, click on "Next" until last screen where you will have to click "Finish").  

If field is disabled, then verify that the user account that is trying to run/schedule the job has permission "Assign Jobs" set to "Yes".

PaulNo_0-1594708612511.png

When account doesn't have this action set, user can't choose the worker:

- Section is disabled in Alteryx Designer (1)

- Section does not appear in Schedule screen on the Gallery (2)

(1)

PaulNo_3-1594709098346.png

(2)

PaulNo_2-1594708671897.png

Hope that helps,

PaulN

alt_tush
9 - Comet

Hi Paul,

Really appreciated on your quick response.

In my account there are n number of users. So the step define that assigned job is only for the respective users? or who it works?

Also one more question, one tag work for multiple collections or we have to create workflows wise tag.

Because if I assigned the same tag to two different workflows which are in different collection then it wont work for me?

It is work only if I add tag for one workflow.

How to manage one tag with different workflows in gallery.

Thank you so much 🙂