Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Global find and replace on the server

AndyEllis
7 - Meteor

We use Alteryx Server on AWS and much of our data connects to a cloud based data lake. The Data lake team is creating new schemas that  replicate existing schemas, but the new schema will have a new name. 

There are hundreds of input tools in hundreds of workflows that use the current schema and we are looking at having to manually update each of them. Not only is this tedious but it also is a rolling process which will mean some inputs are on one schema while others are on the other one. 

All of these things are things we can work around, but I wanted to reach out to the community and see if anyone has ideas about how to do a one time automated process which basically does a find and replace of the sql statements in the input tools. 

Basically we need to do a find  on a statement like this

select "data-lake".current_schema.user_id

and replace it with

select "data-lake".new_schema.user_id

(Obviously it is more complex than this...but i hope you get the idea)

1 REPLY 1
ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @AndyEllis - Given that Alteryx workflows are XML scripts, you should be able to achieve a desired outcome. Logically this would be a 3 step process:

1. Download workflows via API
  2. Run a workflow that reads all workflow files as text and searches and replaces from old schema to new schema
  3. Upload all workflows via API

Here is a link to an article that gives an idea of how to leverage APIs: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Knowledge-Base/Migrating-Workflows/ta-p/335774

If there is any more information I can provide, please let me know.