Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Getting Optional Job Name From Analytic App Choices

Hsolmaz
7 - Meteor

Hello Everyone,

I have an analytic app that does some calculations on a Database depending which companies and years Database that user selected in the user interface. what I am trying to find out is if there is a way user can see that selection on the "Workflow Results" page. I noticed that if user write something on Optional job name, It appears under the workflows name on "Workflow Results" page but if User writes nothing I can only see which workflow was ran. That would be great if there is a way to dynamicly get Optinal Job Name from Users Analytic App selection. 

Hsolmaz_1-1633097176410.png

3 REPLIES 3
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I've never tried it, but there might be a way.  In general, by default, 'answers' by the user for an analytic app interface 'question' tool will not show in the 'messages' portion of the results (which is what displays in the app workflow results when you expand it).

But, I have to assume that the user's selection is being used in some tool - maybe a filter tool or a formula tool, etc.  You probably have an action tool updating something with the user's selection.  Try creating a dummy text input tool with just one dummy value.  Have another action tool from the question tool update that value.  And connect a "message" tool (Developer Palate) to the text input tool and have the message be the value of that test input tool that gets updated.

Attached is a sample app.

Hsolmaz
7 - Meteor

I am sorry that I wasn't clear. The main reason here is to keep tracking the workflow history. While running the workflow on the server, it asks if you want to add an optional job name to it. If you write something here it appears on the workflow history, under the workflow name as you can see on the screenshot above. I wonder is there a way make this optional job name required.

Hsolmaz_0-1633353077778.png

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Oh I see.  No, not that I'm aware - it's strictly optional and no way to override it.