Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Error in Gallery only: Workflow maximum runtime of 30 seconds and was cancelled

NicolasDestombes
7 - Meteor

Dear community,

I have the following error in Gallery only.

I have contacted my Server Administrator and the answer is the timeout is set to 6 hours.

Can you help?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hey @NicolasDestombes 

I have a few things I recommended here in this post https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Discussions/Alteryx-Chained-App-Workflow-Exceeded-30...

Let me know if none of these work 

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Yep, it's coming from a chained app, where the first app is taking longer than 30 seconds.

Unfortunately, there is no system UI setting for this.  You have to go right to the configuration text file and alter it, which is not recommended, but it will do the job.  You have to remember though hat anytime you upgrade or install the server software, that you'll have to go back in and re-do this since it overwrites it.

If you decide to make this change to the config file, you'll want to stop the Service, copy the original file (name it ".orig" or something), make the update, then restart the service.

The config file for version 2020.1 and on is "C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\server\config\alteryx.config".  For pre-2020.1 it's in "C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\config\alteryx.config".  Note that your path might be something different than C:\Program Files\Alteryx but that's the default when the Server software is installed.

And the line of code to change is within this engine tag:

<engine enableAutoLicensing="true" useServiceLayerComposer="true" chainedTimeout="30"
secret="somelongchainoftextswouldshowuphere"
server="DEN-DEV-CI-01.extendthereach.com">
<!--mapSubdomains>
<mapSubdomain subDomain="map1.alteryx.com"/>
<mapSubdomain subDomain="map2.alteryx.com"/>
<mapSubdomain subDomain="map3.alteryx.com"/>
</mapSubdomains-->
</engine>

You'll want to update the 30 above to however many minute you want.

NicolasDestombes
7 - Meteor

Thanks for your answers but... I don't have any config file in the Alteryx folder

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Right, it'll only be on the Server.  You'd have to log into the Server to do this.  Your Server Administrator (if not you) would have to do this.  Many won't though, because it's not best practice to modify a server config file, especially since it will just revert back every time there's an upgrade or install.

NicolasDestombes
7 - Meteor

I'll check with my IT Administrator then.

Thanks.