Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Does File browse tool work on gallery?

alt_tush
9 - Comet

Hi All,

I have developed one workflow on Alteryx designer 2019. Where i used file browse tool to browse the file from my desktop.

I have deployed this workflow on Alteryx Server gallery.

While accessing this workflow from my local machine through gallery URL is it possible to browse the excel file from my local desktop machine?

If yes then what is the file size limitation to browse the file. Because i have excel file which size is approx. 85 MB. I have most of the inputs whos size is greater than 70 MB.

Also i am using MS Edge browser to run the Alteryx workflow. Does file browse tool is compatible with MS EDGE. If no, then there is any alternative to read the Excel from my desktop using Alteryx server gallery.

Thank you in advance :)

16 REPLIES 16
alt_tush
9 - Comet

Hi Luc_C,

Thank you for your prompt reply. We have actual large amount of date/report which is generated from one workflow and input for other workflow.

So there is no any special formatting/name range etc and file have only one sheet.

So only concern is huge excel data file which i process through gallery if you see image it shows processing and after sometime it gives me error. Note.. it happens only for huge file only. For small size file i havent seen any error and it is processing properly.

We have already setup a network drive.. because of Network drives give me error, i saved the file in my local desktop and tried but still my issue is not resolved. So this issue is occurred in both Network drive as well as my local machine drive/desktop.

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @alt_tush 

The idea would be to connect the input tool to the network drive and not use the file browse - that would remove the file upload size issue. Though if you're just using the output of one workflow as the input, why not output as a .yxdb? Have you considered using a chained app?

alt_tush
9 - Comet

Hi Luc_C,

Users requirement is for file browse tool.. instead of any specific path using input tool. And my concern is why i have getting this error while using file browse tool. Does file browse tool compatible/supportive from Alteryx or not.

Thanks a lot for you kind guidance :)

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @alt_tush The file size is the issue. That is why you're getting the error. Is Excel the proper format if you're simply creating an output for another workflow? Maybe a flat file would be more appropriate? Or yxdb. 

alt_tush
9 - Comet

Thanks Luc_C for your help :)

I will try with yxdb file.

Razb
7 - Meteor

Hi, I have the same issue with large csv files- it works fine on the desktop but does'nt work on the gallery, showing an error message "the file name is empty" 

Did anyone found a solution for that? 

Thanks, 

Raz.

LucianoGomes
7 - Meteor

Hi guys,
I'm working on a App which I published on the gallery.
I need to get the parameters file name (an excel file) which contains many sheets and, during the execution, it will concatenate the sheet name according to another interface tool.

AppConfiguration.png

Locally, the file browse works perfectly, it only gets the Excel file name

Desktop.png.

However, when I runt it on the server, it asks for the sheet name right after I load the file.

SheetSelection.png

And when I select any sheet name (because I think it will be replaced correctly during the execution), the instance fails.

Error.png

Could anyone please advise?

Thanks.

Luciano Gomes