Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Data Level Security

cthurasavin
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I'm new to Alteryx and I was wondering what this 2019.2 new feature statement means, "Collections have been extended to have user and asset management on a per-user basis, and provide a collaboration space where users can update shared workflows."

I'm curious if this fits a need that my team is trying to find out. Basically, we have a workflow that we want to share to various group of users and would like to give different type of users ability to run workflows and produce an output that is only specific to the data assigned for them to generate. For example, if I have data set for a Women's department store and I want a specific user to only produce an output for sales on Shoes vs another user to produce output for Purses and so on..,. is this something that can be done in Alteryx server? Similar to how Tableau server provisions detail level security using USERNAME() or ISMEMBEROF() function. 

Oh, we plan to set our server with run-as user in case you need that info.

Thanks!

Carol

3 REPLIES 3
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@cthurasavin 

This is not something you'll be able to manage via Alteryx, however if you have row level security configured on the database side, you use Windows AD authentication on the server and your database also uses Windows AD, you can prompt users to enter their Windows credentials whenever they run a workflow on the server. These will be used as the Run as for the workflow hence only the data the user has access to will be returned.

user-creds.png 

TimN
13 - Pulsar

Hi,

How do you pass the user id into the workflow to then be used within the database - oracle for instance.

thanks.

andrewdatakim
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @TimN ,

The user will need to have access to the database for them to be able to execute the workflow with those specific permissions. You can use a Gallery based connection and build a connection string which runs the workflow with the "Run As" AD based credentials and that will allow role level security permeated from the database (Oracle). The string will  have the User Id parameter setup like this User Id=/;