Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Data Connections with out exposing to Developer

Jithendra
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I would like to build a workflow, which will use the connection string from Data connections but I don't want to expose the respective connection string to designer user. Because, we don't want to expose or share our production db connection strings with the designer user.

But in most of the articles, it has mentioned that, if we did not share the connection string with designer user, then we will get exception while publishing the workflow. If we share the connection string with the designer user, will they be able to view the total connection string details i.e. username & password ? 

Is there a way to build work flow with with out sharing the connection strings with designer user?

To create data connections, what are the prerequisites in my Alteryx gallery server? i.e. if we are connecting to SQL then what are the settings we need to do and what all the drivers or software's should be installed?

2 REPLIES 2
joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

The ultimate way to do this and be sure its protected is to encrypt your workflow. That way your users wouldn't be able to get to it 😉 You can do this when you are saving the workflow to the gallery. 

Hope this helps!

Joshua

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
Jithendra
8 - Asteroid

Thank you Joshua for your inputs. But I don't want to expose to my workflow developers as well. Only admin want to maintain the connection string in Gallery and no one else can use it.