Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Creating and Sharing Gallery connections with users

Jon-Knepper
8 - Asteroid

I am pretty new to how the Alteryx Gallery server works so I need some help with a scenario.  Our server is managed by our IT team.  What we would like to do is set up our data connections (currently ODBC connections on each individual machine) so that each department would have a separate connection to a data source with a different user name and password.  This means that the server could have the same connection listed 5 times, but associated to a different user name and password.  The Idea is to be able to see if there are any spikes and narrow it down to a specific department.  Once these connections are created we would then like to share them with different users as needed.

Is the above possible?  Also, would the individual machines need to have ODBC drivers installed in order to use these connections?

4 REPLIES 4
Jon-Knepper
8 - Asteroid

@patrick_digan

I know you might have some experience with this.  :)

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Jon-Knepper , that is very possible. You would indeed have to set up separate data connections. The only possible downside is a user with access to 1 connection wouldn't be able to share their workflow with somebody from another connection (it would error out, unable to translate alias) when they run things on their designer. They would indeed need to have the drivers installed, but they wouldn't need to have Data Sources set up if you include everything in your data connection and point to the driver. This article is super helpful for setting up DSN less connections if you need that: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/How-to-format-common-ODBC-DSN-less-...

Jon-Knepper
8 - Asteroid

@patrick_digan This sounds great!  So we could set up DSN less connections through the gallery, share them with the appropriate folks and then just leverage those gallery connections from the designer (as long as the proper drivers are installed on their machine)?

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

yep!