Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Change Control

justindavis
10 - Fireball

Our company is on the brink of spinning up and Alteryx Server soon (very exciting!).

Looking for some resources on best practices for establishing a change control & deployment process (dev-test-prod) that works well with the Alteryx ecosystem. Haven't been able to find much out there. If you or someone you know could weigh in on a good setup or resources that speak to the issue, that would be really helpful!

We are a financial services company and I foresee a lot of workflows / apps that help with data prep and shared drive file work, if that helps. We also are a MS SQL Server shop if that matters.

1 REPLY 1
hroderick-thr
11 - Bolide

Alteryx Gallery is a great platform for users to get version control, running and scheduled on server instead of desktop, and sharing their work with others.

Alteryx Server is improving but not so great yet on what most people would consider enterprise grade change control including staging, reviews, approvals, quality control points, scripted installations, and integrated scheduling with other environments.

They have their APIs upon which you may be able to build some of that. I'm not experienced with API development which is an obstacle to this approach.

The practical change control we use today is developers email me attached workflows with scheduling requirements. I make sure the workflows will run on server and work out adjustments needed. Then I archive old versions and schedule with command line bat files from either windows task scheduler or our enterprise scheduler.