Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Can't create Gallery Data Connection.

bbeesley1
6 - Meteoroid

I've tried to create a Gallery Data Connection in two ways:

1) In Alteryx Designer on the Server Machine, logged in as the Gallery Admin using Windows Authentication. I've gone to Options --> Advanced Options --> Manage Data Connections --> Add Connection. In the pop up window I'd like to change Type from User to Gallery, but the Type dropdown is greyed out and I can't change it.

2) In the Gallery Admin site I've selected. Data Connections --> Add New. I've put in the name and host, and tested the connection using Windows Authentication. The connection succeeds, I select a default database and click Save. The browser goes back to the Data Connections screen, only no new connection has been added. It looks exactly as it did before, and says "There are no shared data connections" where I expect to see the Data Connection I just saved.

Can someone help me out here?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

@bbeesley1

Hey,

Two things - 

1. You can’t add Galley connections from Designer yet.  I know it looks like you can but the last I heard they’re still working on that.

2.  Since the connection tested correctly through the Gallery Admin page, who is the user ID set up in the Run As settings?

bbeesley1
6 - Meteoroid

@patrick_mcauliffe Run As is currently set up as a service account that has read and write access to the SQL Server to which I am trying to connect. I've also made sure all the relevant subscriptions have their Default Workflow Credentials set to match those credentials. When I remove the "Run As" credentials, the connection test from the Gallery fails.

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

@bbeesley1

Are you using Windows AD or local Gallery account authentication?

bbeesley1
6 - Meteoroid

Apologies for the delayed response. I've been using Windows AD.

It seems the server WAS saving the new data connections as I created them, it just wasn't showing them on the screen or allowing me to connect to them from Designer. When I went back in after an overnight cycle, I saw that there were about 20 duplicate data connections all with the name I was trying to create. I deleted all but one, but the Gallery Admin screen still showed all 20 until another day passed and it was down to the one I had left.

Now when I need to add a new data connection, I just restart the VM and it allows me to view the new connection and connect to it from Designer. Obviously this is not ideal behavior, but it's workable for now because we do not have any sort of production workload currently.

Garrett
11 - Bolide

I ran into the same problem, but it seemed to be a Internet Explorer issue. As soon as I switched over to Chrome I immediately saw all the connections I had created.