Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

CReW macro error: "SupportingExes\AlteryxRunner.exe" returned an error code: -1073741819

Rich_Stebles
8 - Asteroid

Hello

My chain of Conditional Runner workflows which has worked for literally years has failed this morning with an error that's new to me: 

The external program "SupportingExes\AlteryxRunner.exe" returned an error code: -1073741819

(I have another one that also failed today, with error code -1073741818)

I've tested the dependencies of the workflow and telling me that the directory doesn't exist, but it definitely does:

Crew error.PNG

What's going on?  Just to emphasise, this has been working daily, for years 

I can see some other threads but both seem unresolved:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/CReW-Macros-The-external-program-quot-...

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Discussions/CREW-MACROS-external-program-quot-Suppor...

Thanks 

Regards

Richard

20 REPLIES 20
amycooper
5 - Atom

I've run into the same issue.  I am not running the server version, only local to my machine.  But I had 3 specific events happen in the last week since I used the macro last:

1.  Got a new laptop

2.  New laptop has Windows 10 (old was running 7)

3.  Updated Alteryx to v3.2

I uninstalled the Crews tools and reinstalled, built a new macro, made certain the paths I used were correct, and still received the same error.  Then I created a new sample workflow, new macro, got the same results. 

Help?  Direction?  Guesses?  Black Magic?  I'll take anything you got......

nlashinski
6 - Meteoroid

I reverted back to 2019.2

Alteryx knows about it and it's an official ticket with them.

ntobon
Alteryx
Alteryx

You are running into a know Defect: "DE21165 - Crew Macro Runner crashes on Alteryx Designer 2019.3". The fix will be included with be a fix update for 2019.3 and it is targeted for end of October, 2019.

PurpleKoolAid
7 - Meteor

I am on 2019.4.8 and I am receiving the error messages related to the .exe and AlteryxEngine.dll.

rblomstrand
5 - Atom

Had similar with "The external program "SupportingExes\AlteryxRunner.exe" returned an error code" specifically with the Runners, but found it due to me trying to be clever and using TortoiseHG (Mercurial) for source control, and clearly there is a clash with Alteryx.

Had to uninstall TortoiseHG and then all worked.

Very sad that I am now unable to use this version control as I believe it is essential for development, and if anyone has any further information or solutions I would be very happy to hear about it.

Reluctant to now try other source control systems to avoid similar unless someone has experience of something that works.

ntobon
Alteryx
Alteryx

@rblomstrand "The external program "SupportingExes\AlteryxRunner.exe" returned an error code". Can you provide the exact Exact Text of Error? I want to see the error code. Is the error code: -1073741512 or -1073741511 or -1073741515 ?

rblomstrand
5 - Atom

Hi,

The error message is -1073741512  as per below:

00:00:00.140 - Error - ToolId 1: Tool #2: The external program "SupportingExes\AlteryxRunner.exe" returned an error code: -1073741512 Finished in 00:00:00.156 with 1 error

ElinaV
5 - Atom

Hi I got the same error, 1073741511, today after  upgrade to 2021.4 Alteryx. Eralier with 2019.4 it was working. I already reinstalled the macros.

Error: List Runner (2): Tool #3: Iteration #1: Tool #5: Record #1: Tool #2: Tool #2: The external program "SupportingExes\AlteryxRunner.exe" returned an error code: -1073741511

JamesHa
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

For anyone running into this error could you please try following the installation steps in this help documentation.

If you follow the installation steps, you should be able to replace the runner tool and all the other macros should pick it up.  As a note, Alteryx does not support the Runner tools in Alteryx Server or scheduling with Designer + Automation.  It should only be used in Designer workflows.

If after following the installation steps, you still experience this error in Designer, please submit a support ticket via case portal.

James Dolan-Hall | Principal Technical Account Manager
support@alteryx.com | community.alteryx.com
ntobon
Alteryx
Alteryx

@ElinaV This is a known defect which is documented with this KB article: 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/DE29456-TDSL-980-Crew-macros-fail-u...

The defect is fixed in version 2021.4. (temporarily removed from the Downloads portal).  In the meantime, please apply the workaround.