Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Alteryx server, just how many users can access the report?

MizunashiSinayu
8 - Asteroid

HI, I would like to know deeper about Alteryx server.

Alteryx server allows us to publish analytics apps to the cloud, and the consumers of the analytics can access it.

So, how does it actually work?

Consider I am the "consumer". Do I access a web and see the report already displayed? Or do I need to click something? Or I can run a pre-built workflow from the server (without needing to have the designer)?

Secondly, how many users can access the server at the same time? Or does Alteryx limits the number of consumers?

Thank you in advance.

Sorry if it is a bit confusing.

Regards,

Mizu

2 REPLIES 2
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Hi @MizunashiSinayu,

Let's talk server!  The Alteryx server provides you the ability to scale, share, schedule and govern your analytic processes.  An Alteryx designer is used to create a repeatable process that can be published as an analytic app to the cloud (via the Alteryx Gallery).  When consumers need to make data driven decisions they can log into that gallery (private in the case of running on your company server) and select your app for execution.

A public gallery is available at:  https://gallery.alteryx.com

A sample analytic app is: https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/2010-Census-Demographic-Report/51e6cc6c0df91b050cba0512

The consumer of the application does not need to have an Alteryx designer.  The app is running on your server.  The consumers log on and execute the apps of their choosing (by permission).  When configuring the environment, Alteryx will help you to size the server configuration to the needs of your organization.  There are 3 ways to scale the infrastructure:  Worker nodes, Gallery nodes, and database.  For larger implementations, a load balancer may be added.

Depending on the number of concurrent users accessing and running applications, a custom configuration may be recommended.  The public gallery is hosted on Amazon Web Services (AWS) and has supported thousands of users over the last 3 years.  In fact, some 250,000 reports were generated by those users.  

Here are some specific answers to your questions:

Q1: Do I access a web and see the report already displayed?

A1: For a private gallery, you will access a website hosted by your organization. 

Q2: Do I need to click something?

A2: Yes.  You will have to select the app for execution.  Once you have run the app, you can access your report via workflow results in the future.

Q3: Can I run a pre-built workflow from the server (without needing to have the designer)?

A3:  Absolutely.  Once published, anyone in your organization (with permission) can run the app.

Q4: How many users can access the server at the same time?

A4: Who's on first?  This is a consideration for configuration.  The more users running the more demanding apps at the peak times the more infrastructure you will need. Fortunately, the design scales and can be quickly configured to meet your growing demand.

Q5: Does Alteryx limits the number of consumers?

A6: No.

I hope that this has helped you Mizu. If you would like, I'd be happy to provide you and your organization with a presentation of Alteryx Server.  If you'd like to speak directly with someone at Alteryx, I could point them in your direction as well.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
DataRangler
8 - Asteroid

"Fortunately, the design scales and can be quickly configured to meet your growing demand."

How does the design scale. Additional Alteryx Servers?