Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Allow user to Provide User Credential for Gallery Connection

rituraj963
8 - Asteroid

I am using a Dynamic Input tool in my workflow which does not allow to use file based connection. Because I need to process huge volume of data everyday in the off hour business, I decided to upload it to the gallery and schedule the nightly execution. Here's a scenario that I am trying to resolve, no luck so far.

My Gallery Admin created a SQL Server DB connection and shared with my studio. It was initially defaulted to "WIndows Authentication". When I try to upload the workflow, it fails because my ID does not have access to database (ERROR: Login Failed for user domain\userid). There is a generic user id which is used to access the database. I asked the Admin to default the connection to "SQL Authentication". When I refreshed connection on my Designer and tried uploading the workflow to gallery, it failed again. This time it was taking some default user from gallery which runs all the workflows on the gallery.

Is there a way that user is prompted to provide user credential? Or is there something different that I should do?

3 REPLIES 3
wwatson
12 - Quasar

What we did with an Oracle database was to have the user set up an IN-DB connection with a specific connection name and their own credentials in their Designer application.

We gave the Server User access to the same database and set up the same IN-DB connection name on server using the server user's credentials.

When the user runs the workflow it uses their user credentials behind the IN-DB connection name on their designer application, when the server runs the workflow it uses the server's credentials behind the IN_DB connection name on Server.

It might be worth investigating this option.

rituraj963
8 - Asteroid

Thank you wwatson, The same suggestion was given to me by my admin. Since our data is very sensitive, so we did not want to give database access to the service account that runs the workflows on the server. I will check with my admin if our service account to access database can be hosted on the gallery as another service account to run workflows on the server.

I have always used In-DB input tools to where i used file based connection.

wwatson
12 - Quasar

I think you can put whatever credentials you want into the Server IN_DB connection, the connection name just has to be the same as you used in designer.

The workflow will only exist in the Private Studio you save it to on server and could be shared in a collection.