Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

contains multiple strings?

becki
8 - Asteroid

i read this - https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Filter-on-Multiple-Contains/m-p/309402

but what i need is something like :

contains([field1], "mustang" or "fiesta" or "f150") to change a set of values, based on the value of a field, in this case, the nameplate field or do i have to do:

Contains([field1],"mustang") OR

Contains([field1]),"fiesta")

thanks

7 REPLIES 7
tcroberts
12 - Quasar

You could instead use something like:

REGEX_Match([Field1], 'mustang|fiesta|f150')

Let me know if you have more questions about building the regex, or if this doesn't work for you.

Cheers!

becki
8 - Asteroid

thanks.  can you use that with a formula tool so I can change the value of the field [wheelbase] based on values in the field [nameplate]?  thanks

becki
8 - Asteroid

REGEX_Match([nameplate],"Mustang"|"Figo") doesn't work, even If I use 'Mustang' or double quotes.  the error , in the formula tool is "unknown operator "|", did you mean "||"? and if I put that in, then I can't change the field "wheelbase" in formula since it's a numeric. 

tcroberts
12 - Quasar

Yes, you'd want to enter an expression something like:

IF REGEX_Match([Field1], 'mustang|fiesta|f150')
THEN Value1
ELSE Value2
ENDIF

This should do what you want. If you can provide a sample of data I could try to put an actual example together.

Let me know if you need further help setting this up.

tcroberts
12 - Quasar

You want the | character inside the quotes. 

The second argument should be a single string, with things you want to look for separated by |.

The | (pipe operator) is used to mean the logical OR operation.

becki
8 - Asteroid

thanks!  and duh, I need to read for context not for speed! 

JFurda
8 - Asteroid

This does not appear to be working for me in a formula tool. It works with a single argument, but when I put in multiple arguments, it does not work (does not change the value upon a match/true result)
Output Column: FIELD2

IF(Contains([FIELD1], '2366|2302'))
THEN "N"
ELSE [FIELD2]
ENDIF

I'm using Contains() because the value in the FIELD1 could have a leading zero or even additional text.

What am I missing? 

Labels