Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Use pattern fill in chart?

EmmaWB
7 - Meteor

Hi all,

I'm working on making my reporting more accessible, and as part of that I don't want to rely on color alone to differentiate layers in a chart. Is there any way to fill a bar chart layer with a pattern (stripes or something)? On line graphs you can make markers different shapes, but I'm trying to figure out how to differentiate layers on a bar chart without solely relying on colors.

Thanks! 

4 REPLIES 4
BA02
7 - Meteor

Can you please share some sample data so that I can build on that?

EmmaWB
7 - Meteor

I've attached a super simple workflow as an example.

What I'm looking for is a way to change the fill pattern of one of the layers, like this:

EmmaWB_0-1629896182354.png

BA02
7 - Meteor

Currently, I don't think we have the option of being able to change the fill type in Alteryx. Solid color (constant or variable) fill is the only bar chart fill.

EmmaWB
7 - Meteor

In case anyone else has this problem, we've submitted an idea for future development. Please go like it so we can see this as a native feature in the future!

In the meantime, I used a combination of these two resources to meet my immediate need:

I've attached my solution workflow. Hope this is helpful for anyone else who is trying to use fill to increase the accessibility of their visuals!

Labels