Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Use pattern fill in chart?

EmmaWB
7 - Meteor

Hi all,

I'm working on making my reporting more accessible, and as part of that I don't want to rely on color alone to differentiate layers in a chart. Is there any way to fill a bar chart layer with a pattern (stripes or something)? On line graphs you can make markers different shapes, but I'm trying to figure out how to differentiate layers on a bar chart without solely relying on colors.

Thanks! 

4 REPLIES 4
BA02
7 - Meteor

Can you please share some sample data so that I can build on that?

EmmaWB
7 - Meteor

I've attached a super simple workflow as an example.

What I'm looking for is a way to change the fill pattern of one of the layers, like this:

EmmaWB_0-1629896182354.png

BA02
7 - Meteor

Currently, I don't think we have the option of being able to change the fill type in Alteryx. Solid color (constant or variable) fill is the only bar chart fill.

EmmaWB
7 - Meteor

In case anyone else has this problem, we've submitted an idea for future development. Please go like it so we can see this as a native feature in the future!

In the meantime, I used a combination of these two resources to meet my immediate need:

I've attached my solution workflow. Hope this is helpful for anyone else who is trying to use fill to increase the accessibility of their visuals!

Labels