Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Unknown (Select) Feature w/ Summarize Tool

AustinRiggs94
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

Is there a feature within the Summarize tool that will auto select future added fields such as the Join/Select etc., tools use? If not, how would you recommend going about being able to groupby/sum additional fields that may be added in the future. Please let me know if you have any questions, thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I suggest transposing the data so that GroupBy includes the field name and the Summarize actions take place on all fields. I'd be happy to build an example if you have a data sample in mind.

If you want an overly-complex method, you could updated the inner XML of a Summarize tool within an embedded macro. 

AustinRiggs94
8 - Asteroid

@CharlieS I believe i am going to have to use the overly complex method. The Alteryx model i built comprises of about 10 different input sources that i sometimes use the sum/groupby function (Just to make things easier before it goes into the model). The goal is to have this model pushed out in order for anyone to use it/upload their data to it without having to update it/update it rarely. However, below is sample data, sorry for it being very generic.

Thank you for your help.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Based on the sample you provided, I assumed that string fields should be grouped by and integer fields should be summed. An example solution is attached that achieves this with the use of Dynamic tools and a batch macro with an inner XML update.

Check it out and let me know if this works for you.

AustinRiggs94
8 - Asteroid

Hi Sorry for the late response.

I tried opening your macro but unfortunately i do not have that version of Alteryx, my work will not allow me to update it as well. Is there anyway you could screen shot the macro/direct me on how to build the macro w/xml. Sorry for the hassle. 

I will keep searching for alternative solutions, which i am always a fan of doing. Thank you for your help

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

If you need to open a workflow built in a newer version, in most cases, you can just edit the workflow in Notepad (or another text editor) and change the version number to your version.

- Right click the .yxmd/.yxmc/.yxwz file > Open with... > Notepad

- Change the version on the second line to your current version.

- Save the file

XMLVersionEdit.png

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
Labels