Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Unknown (Select) Feature w/ Summarize Tool

AustinRiggs94
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

Is there a feature within the Summarize tool that will auto select future added fields such as the Join/Select etc., tools use? If not, how would you recommend going about being able to groupby/sum additional fields that may be added in the future. Please let me know if you have any questions, thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I suggest transposing the data so that GroupBy includes the field name and the Summarize actions take place on all fields. I'd be happy to build an example if you have a data sample in mind.

If you want an overly-complex method, you could updated the inner XML of a Summarize tool within an embedded macro. 

AustinRiggs94
8 - Asteroid

@CharlieS I believe i am going to have to use the overly complex method. The Alteryx model i built comprises of about 10 different input sources that i sometimes use the sum/groupby function (Just to make things easier before it goes into the model). The goal is to have this model pushed out in order for anyone to use it/upload their data to it without having to update it/update it rarely. However, below is sample data, sorry for it being very generic.

Thank you for your help.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Based on the sample you provided, I assumed that string fields should be grouped by and integer fields should be summed. An example solution is attached that achieves this with the use of Dynamic tools and a batch macro with an inner XML update.

Check it out and let me know if this works for you.

AustinRiggs94
8 - Asteroid

Hi Sorry for the late response.

I tried opening your macro but unfortunately i do not have that version of Alteryx, my work will not allow me to update it as well. Is there anyway you could screen shot the macro/direct me on how to build the macro w/xml. Sorry for the hassle. 

I will keep searching for alternative solutions, which i am always a fan of doing. Thank you for your help

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

If you need to open a workflow built in a newer version, in most cases, you can just edit the workflow in Notepad (or another text editor) and change the version number to your version.

- Right click the .yxmd/.yxmc/.yxwz file > Open with... > Notepad

- Change the version on the second line to your current version.

- Save the file

XMLVersionEdit.png

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
Labels