Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Transposing variable number columns to rows

amw1
7 - Meteor

I need to convert multiple excel files into a format that can be loaded into a database table. The files are answers to survey questions about software applications. The first question the user answers is what applications will they be rating. Then each question will have a column for the applications chosen that holds the rating. There is also a free form column that is used for each question. The number of applications can vary. For instance there could be 10 total and during the survey only 3 were chosen by the participants. Another survey might have 6 applications chosen.

For example there are 4 people taking the survey and their results look like:

Person IDOfficeSkypeDuoQuestion1OfficeSkypeDuoQuestion2OfficeSkypeDuoQuestion3OfficeSkypeDuoQuestion3
1Office Duo 2 2 1 2 1 4everything works
2 SkypeDuo  34  32  N/A3 
3OfficeSkypeDuo 253this is great143 444 
4Office   4   3   4   

I would like the data to be converted to:

IDNameValueQuestion
1Office2 
1Duo2 
1Office1 
1Duo2 
1Office1everything works
1Duo4everything works
2Skype3 
2Duo4 
2Skype3 
2Duo2 
2SkypeN/A 
2Duo3 
3Office2 
3Skype5 
3Duo3 
3Office1this is great
3Skype4this is great
3Duo3this is great
3Office4 
3Skype4 
3Duo4 
4Office4 
4Office3 
4Office4 

If I start with the transpose tool I can get part of the way but I am unsure of the best way to add a column for the free form entry for only the rows for that particular question.

I appreciate your help and suggestions and have attached a sample excel spreadsheet as well.

3 REPLIES 3
JoBen
11 - Bolide

Hi @amw1, here is a workflow that should be able to display the data the way you need it. Here is the outcome that I came up with. 

Help1.PNG

amw1
7 - Meteor

Hi JoBen,

Thank you so much for the solution! I'm trying it out with actual data that has the variable applications but I think it should work fine.

Thanks again!

JoBen
11 - Bolide

Okay. You bet!

Labels