Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Run workflow when file in directory is updated

swoodling
7 - Meteor

Hello all- 

I am using the Server to schedule a workflow to run on a recurring basis (every 2-4 hours). I am wanting to determine if there is a way to adjust my workflow setup so that it will run in the server once the files time stamp changes. I have an auto drop coming from our financial system, and I want to make it so the workflow sees the new drop and then initiates the workflow. The auto drop from our system just replaces the old file, opposed to dropping a new file. 

2 REPLIES 2
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @swoodling 

There's currently no way to launch a workflow based on a file event, i.e. added, modified, etc., using only Alteryx functionality.  Neither Alteryx Designer nor Server has the mechanisms to set up a listener on a drive and react to changes.  I've heard of other solutions that have a 3rd party tool, Python watchdog, or a .Net listener service that  monitors and reacts to file system changes.  When an event happens, the app calls the Gallery API to queue the workflow using POST /v1/workflows/{appId}/jobs . 

Dan     

MattBSlalom
11 - Bolide

I answered a similar post here:  https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Discussions/Run-Workflows-by-Command-Line-on-Server-...

My responses from that thread are copied below:

I found this post that may help you get to this frequency.  Basically, you'd have an iterative macro that's iterating every 5 secs to do the file check.  The calling workflow would be always running to allow the file check to continuously occur.  https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Event-Driven-Workflow-Triggers-for-Alt...

You could provide the number of iterations for 1 minute (60 secs / 5 secs = 12 iterations), then schedule it to run every minute on the server.  So you'll wind up with continuous checking over many individual workflow executions.

Labels