Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Replace SQL string in all Input Data instances

asp_ty
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I'm currently using Alteryx to automatically run 2 queries from Teradata and output them to Excel. I do this daily so every day I would go into the SQL code for each Input Data instance and update the date in the SQL code to the current date. is there a faster way of doing this manually? thanks. 

11 REPLIES 11
nick_ceneviva
11 - Bolide

You could use the SQL CURRENT_DATE function that will always use the date of the current day.  This would prevent you from having to update the date on a daily basis.

asp_ty
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Nick, 

thanks for the suggestion, but I also would like to run it for prior days if possible. What I'm really looking for is a tool where I can apply the date update to all the Data Input objects at once instead of doing it one by one. 

nick_ceneviva
11 - Bolide

I see.  You could always make it into an app where based on the selected date or date ranges the SQL query is updated.

asp_ty
6 - Meteoroid

can you show me how that would be accomplished in Alteryx? i attached a sample file with two different queries in one workflow. thanks. 

nick_ceneviva
11 - Bolide

It would be something like the attached application.  If you could test and let me know if it works that would be great.

asp_ty
6 - Meteoroid

my current query is pulling data where Business_Date(date) = '2017-09-18' and when i ran the app and changed to a prior date, it is still outputting 9-18 data. any idea what went wrong? 

nick_ceneviva
11 - Bolide

The update action must not be working as expected.  It will be tough to troubleshoot as I can't actually run the query.  This is actually very similar to the Weekly Challenge from this week so maybe checking that out would help!

asp_ty
6 - Meteoroid

i understand. i will look at the weekly challenge for ideas then. thanks for your help Nick!

asp_ty
6 - Meteoroid

I was going through someone's thread with a similar situation as mine and one thing i noticed that both of our dates in the SQL code are in this format: YYYY-MM-DD. Maybe this date format is not compatible with Alteryx's default date format which is MM/DD/YYYY which is why the "replace a specific string" function isn't working properly. 

Labels