Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Remove irrelevant characters & data from a column (regex maybe?)

alex_reevoo
8 - Asteroid

Hi Guys,

I have a need to prepare some data.

I need to map data from key branches to a target branch ID (the target needs to have this data registered against them).

The problem is that the column containing the source branch(es) is surrounded in useless text that I need to do away with.

An example of this is attached, however for this I'll show below:

target | source branch

2673     ---- :branch_code:
            :target_branch_code:
            - '12'
            - '402'
            :target_retailer_id: 1528

What I need is a column that gives me the target_branch_code numbers. Everything else can be removed.

How would I go about doing this, so that the output would be:

target | source branch

2673   12,402

Cheers!

2 REPLIES 2
Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

How about the attached?

branch code.png

- Filter to remove Null record from sample file
- Text to Columns to split "source branch" on "-", space, or new line. It will ignore delimiters inside single quotes, and skip empty values (when there are consecutive delimiters)
- Multi-Row Formula to add the field "Field" because the field name and data are on different rows, this will fill the field name down the records
- Filter to remove the field name records, as they contain no data
- Multi Filed Formula to trim the single quotes and colons around the values
- Cross Tab to reshape and concatenate the data, resulting in one record per "target"

alex_reevoo
8 - Asteroid

Thanks Joe, this worked perfectly!!

Alex

Labels