Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Regex parse Date from Filename

Nithinpanicker
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I am pretty new in regular expression and been having trouble understanding it. I want to parse the date from a file name.

For example:

File name : FFTT INC Created_2023_02_01 

Date format in filename: yyyy_mm_dd

I want to extract the date so I can sort the files by date in alteryx for dynamic input. I have tried sorting with creation date but I have some reports which have been created on same dates but the data is for another date. Hence this request.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Nithin

5 REPLIES 5
ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @Nithinpanicker 

(\d{4}_\d{2}_\d{2})

Please find the expected output.

ShankerV_0-1675340208826.png

DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @Nithinpanicker, would something like this work for you? Don't think there's any need for RegEx unless I'm missing the purpose here. The innermost Right() expression isolates the last 10 characters of the filename (your date). Then, we just convert this into an ISO date that Alteryx can work with (YYYY-MM-DD format) using DateTimeParse() and defining the incoming YYYY_MM_DD format:

DataNath_0-1675340260406.png

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @Nithinpanicker 

One way of doing this:

DateTimeParse(REGEX_Replace([File Name], '(.*)(\d{4}_\d{2}_\d{2})(.*)', '$2'), '%Y_%m_%d')

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1675340281220.png

DataNath
17 - Castor

Realised after posting initially that we don't even need to mess around with date functions etc as we're literally just going from YYYY_MM_DD to YYYY-MM-DD and so can simplify this even further with a formula along these lines. The output date type being set to a date will allow you to sort properly:

DataNath_0-1675340512914.png

Nithinpanicker
8 - Asteroid

Hi @DataNath @Felipe_Ribeir0 @ShankerV 

Thank you all for your valuable replies.

Yes all the proposed solutions are giving me the desired outcome. 

Labels