Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parse data from text file

vvissamsetty
8 - Asteroid

Hi Guys,

I have data in the following format and wish to extract characters from this based on character limit into multiple columns.

AAAA  1234567890JOHNNEWYORK

I have multiple columns into which this data has to be extracted based on the character count like - first 4 characters should go into column 1(ID), next 10 characters should go into column 2 (Phone Number), next 4 characters into column 3(First Name), next 15 characters into column 4(City) and so on, all of this data is in a text file. Can anyone guide me on how to go with this?

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @vvissamsetty ,

in the INPUT tool, you can set the option "Read it as a fixed width text file" :

10-10-_2019_15-49-04.png

In the following step, you set the field width:

10-10-_2019_15-52-21.png

Would that solve your problem?

Best regards

Roland

vvissamsetty
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @RolandSchubert, that helped.

benakesh
12 - Quasar

Hi @vvissamsetty ,

This is  Regex parse method .

(.{4})\s\s(.{10})(.{4})(.{5,15})    ( 4 char id ,  2 spaces  , 10 char phone , 4 char name and  5 to 15 char city .   

Rob48
8 - Asteroid

I just used the first solution that RolandSchubert gave with a .txt file I have, but didn't account for the fact my source data has a first line/row of garbage that I wanted to ignore.  Now all the field width settings I made (60 fields of varying length across 600 characters) is parsing up the first row of garbage.  Is there a way to ignore the first row and still use this solution?  Or am I stuck not using this easy (but initially time-consuming) solution and instead creating 60 separate formula tools to parse up my data?   below is the current settings.  Thanks!

Rob48_0-1677851725360.png

Labels