Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output to Excel error

MsBindy
8 - Asteroid

I have several workflows that are sending output to an Excel file.  When I open the Excel file I always get a message "We found a problem with some content..." Do you want us to recover as much as we can?...."     I always answer "Yes" and then I get a message about the repairs to the file which always says "Removed Records: Formula from /xl/calcChain.xml part"

I have no idea what any of that means.  I'm able to use the excel file, and run the macros in it.  However, I'd like to avoid those messages if I can before I hand these files off to someone else.

47 REPLIES 47
PeterAP
8 - Asteroid

Apologies if someone else has already mentioned this, but I find this error normally occurs for me when the Excel sheet names specified in Alteryx are too long and are truncated in the Excel File.

When I shorten the sheet names so they aren't truncated in excel this error disappears.

Hope this helps

data_rachel
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the solution @32bit but it didn't work for me. There seem to be several different situations that cause this error.

In my situation, it is an .xlsx and not an .xlsm that acts as my template file.

I use a batch macro to create files using this template.

My sheet name is not unusually long, it is "sheet1".

I have used this workflow since 2019 on a monthly basis and it has only started producing this error (and data deletion in the .xlsx) this month. One of the only changes since it last ran successfully was that I upgraded from 2020.2 to 2021.1. I can no longer get it to run properly even with a previous month's data.

I have no fixed decimals.

Using @32bit 's solution did make the error (and the data deletion) go away, but it also broke all the vlookups in my template, therefore isn't a feasible solution in my situation.

DennyChan
8 - Asteroid

Hello

im not sure if you still have this problem, I found out i had this problem , and fixed by checking My output file part

denny_chan_0-1620920980352.png

in this example this create a recover message 

denny_chan_1-1620921218968.png

looking at the original path and found a ' on the end of the path, and this remove the repaire message. so to solve this issue check your filename you create

denny_chan_3-1620921380143.png

hope this help

Denny

Gina2021
8 - Asteroid

@PeterAP  & @DennyChan Thank you both tons! I shortened my tab names and took off the '.  

My filepath now looks like:

FY22\InvoiceDispute.xlsx|||1$a1:h9

FY22\InvoiceDispute.xlsx|||1$a11:h24

FY22\InvoiceDispute.xlsx|||1$a26:h38

FY22\InvoiceDispute.xlsx|||2Left

FY22\InvoiceDispute.xlsx|||3Inv

FY22\InvoiceDispute.xlsx|||4Dis

I also added Block Till Done where two lines were coming out of the same tool, going different places.  I let streams going to tab 1 finish first, and the rest were lined up with Block Till Done output 2 or 3.

Gina2021_0-1624570753978.png

Sasthana25
8 - Asteroid

Hello, 

I am encountering the same and tried to follow the steps of @32bit however, having issue editing the [Content_Types].xml file (opening in internet explorer). Is there any other way to handle this problem? 

Any efficient and quick solution is much appreciated. Cheers. 

DennyChan
8 - Asteroid

Hello 

check your file path for single quotes, other character that shouldn't be there

check out my example on earlier post

Denny

DennyChan
8 - Asteroid

Hello Sasthana25

check your file path for single quotes, other character that shouldn't be there

check out my example on earlier post

Denny

R_Seifert
5 - Atom

Hello,

I seem to have a similar issue like Catherine_Marshall (page 2) when opening excel sheets, especially with bigger .xslx-Files >50MB (see pictures).
error1.jpgerror2.jpg

I hope somebody can help me with my issue.

Many thanks in advance

R. Seifert

Labels