Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Output data to MS Azure SQL Server incredibly slow

SWood
6 - Meteoroid

I have a workflow that outputs data to a MS Azure SQL Server database using ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server and output seems to be abnormally slow. I have the Update: Insert if New option enabled and I'm only outputting about 16-17k rows of data each time it runs, but it takes about 20 min to execute the workflow and according to the profiler ~98% of that time is from writing to the Azure SQL db. If I switch the output to a local SQL Server db using the same ODBC driver then the workflow completes within a few seconds. Should I be using a different ODBC driver to output to MS Azure, or do I have the output tool configured incorrectly? I appreciate any pointers or guidance.

SWood_0-1596227260734.png

3 REPLIES 3
ArnavS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @SWood 

Please see our help documentation for connecting to MS Azure databases. It is recommended to use OBDC Driver 11, 13, 13.1.

If a different driver version does not speed up your workflow, could you verify your version of Alteryx?

SWood
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the guidance, @ArnavS. I tried switching to ODBC driver 13 but it didn't seem to make any difference relative to ODBC driver 17. I noticed the transaction size was set to 10,000 by default so I changed that to 0 to write all records at once and it cut the execution time by about half, now it only takes ~9 min instead of 20-ish. I'm running Alteryx version 2020.1.2.24185, I'll try updating to 2020.2.3 and see if that helps any.

JonathanAllenby
8 - Asteroid

Replying to what I believe to be a dead account but hey-ho.

Did you ever make any further progress with this?

Labels