Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Output Workflow to Word Document and Keep Braces

this_is_the_Way
6 - Meteoroid

Hello all,

I have setup a workflow that will provide a list of IDs, which I then need to put into a word document with surrounding hard-coded text. The Report Text tool works for this however the output on the Word doc does not include the braces {} that I require around certain words in the hard-coded text.

The below shows what the output should look like versus how it actually appears. The only text which is not hard-coded in the Report Text tool is the ID in bold.

I cannot post the actual flow as it contains proprietary information.

What it should look like:

{down}{down}{down}{down}{down}{down}{down}{down}{down}{down}
ID xyz
{f2}
[script_trigger_delay(1.5)]
C
{enter}{enter}{enter}

Current Output:

downdowndowndowndowndowndowndowndowndown

ID xyz

f2

[script_trigger_delay(1.5)]

C

enterenterenter

7 REPLIES 7
Robin_McIntosh
11 - Bolide

I've seen the same thing before so I just use a formula before the report tool to add the curly brackets.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@this_is_the_Way 
Maybe I am missing some of requirement, but it looks fine on my end.

0726-nbkk23b.PNG0726-nbkk23b-1.PNG

this_is_the_Way
6 - Meteoroid

Looks like I may need to add the hard coded text to a excel file, with the the ID line containing generic text ("WeKnowID"), then I need to do a find and replace to find that WeKnowID line and replace it with the actual ID from the original source data. I need to do this for every line of the source data. Any thoughts on how to do this?

Robin_McIntosh
11 - Bolide

@this_is_the_Way - Can you calrify your original request?  I'm under the impression that you are trying to add the {} within the report text tool; which I've seen in the past does not keep.  This is why I suggested adding a formula to add {} before the report text tool.

Robin_McIntosh_4-1658840769813.pngRobin_McIntosh_5-1658840791182.pngRobin_McIntosh_6-1658840810088.pngRobin_McIntosh_7-1658840825071.png

this_is_the_Way
6 - Meteoroid

Almost got it. I used the Append Fields tool to align my hard-coded text with the IDs, then used the Formula tool to replace the ID xyz field in the hard-coded text with the corresponding ID. The output is going into a Word doc, the only issue is that each line has a space after it (even though I selected "No Spacing Between Records") and I need it to have no spaces. Any thoughts?

Annotation 2022-07-26 104115.jpg

Robin_McIntosh
11 - Bolide

@this_is_the_Way - On your Report Text tool, make sure your cursor is at the end of your last line and delete.  If you "enter" after your last line, this causes the space between records.

Cursor at end of last line:

Robin_McIntosh_0-1658847059966.png

Robin_McIntosh_1-1658847079628.png

Cursor on next line:

Robin_McIntosh_4-1658847207382.png

Robin_McIntosh_3-1658847146186.png

this_is_the_Way
6 - Meteoroid

Correct! Saw my error right before checking back here. Thank you!

Labels