Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output Tool creates HTML style output in Excel sheet

flipperdm
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I want to use the Output tool to export data in Excel and update different tabs, something that the Render tool isn't ideal for.  However, when I open the created Excel file, it has HTML style date in the first 2 rows rather that the expected table format that I was looking for.  Does anyone now what this may be and how to fix it to save data in table format?

Mark

Capture2.JPG
Capture.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
nick_ceneviva
11 - Bolide

For outputting data into Excel or other file types, you do not need to use the Table reporting tool.  You can just take the output from the select tool and put that into the Output data tool.  If you do need the table for another report, you can take another output from the select tool and go around the Table reporting tool directly into the Output Data.

The Table reporting tool is used for creating more formatted reports such as a PDF page with multiple formatted tables, visualizations etc.

Hopefully that helps!

flipperdm
8 - Asteroid

It did work but I have one other question.

I'm trying to find a solution between Output and Render but it may not exist.

Output: can export all data, set field types, edit individual tabs but doesn't format cells, or no matter how wide but doesn't provide cell formatting

Render: can export, set formatting (width, font etc) but doesn't allow for files wider than a preset sheet type and doesn't allow to edit tabs

I basically want to export a file, change the font and adjust the widths of each column.  Is there a way to do that?

nick_ceneviva
11 - Bolide

I'm glad that started to work!  I'm not totally sure if this will work, but what if you created the file and formatted as you would like to in terms of data type, font, columns width and then did the append to existing data.  Will the file lose all formatting when you insert the new data?

flipperdm
8 - Asteroid

I just tried that and it it kept the column widths but when I set the font for about 2000 rows (the max number of rows that this report would be), it appended AFTER the formatted rows...using the default font.  The good news is that the column widths remain.

Thanks for your help on this.  Maybe I'll find a solution for the font issue later.

Mark

Labels