Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Install python packages in Alteryx

tsnchan
7 - Meteor

Hello

I tried to use the following python code to install a new packages in Alteryx.

- from ayx import Package
- Package.installPackages(package = "pulp")

On running above code in Altyerx's Jupyter notebook, I got error messages as captured in the screenshot. Any good idea how I should resolve this issue? The error message said using "--user" option, I am not sure what it means.

Appreciate if someone can help. Thanks a lot

Screenshot (23).png

5 REPLIES 5
NikyN
9 - Comet

Hello @tsnchan,

your code is correct, but seems you do not have permission to install any new package in Alteryx.

You will need to ask you admin to do it for you.

More details: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/How-To-Use-Alteryx-installPackages-...

Best Luck!

Niky

KilianL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @tsnchan ,

I agree with @NikyN comment above.

Try to run Alteryx Designer as admin, this might solve your error already.

tsnchan
7 - Meteor

Thanks NikyN and KilianL

I installed Admin version of Alteryx designer, with the help from our IT department colleagues. Unfortunately, I cannot run as admin, as I don't have admin right for my laptop. Is there any work around for me to install python packages on Designer? Thanks

cheers

Terence

tsnchan
7 - Meteor

Hello,

Anyone has insights on above? Thanks a lot

cheers

Terence

taylor_butler
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @tsnchan

My understanding is that you should be able to download additional Python packages without admin privileges if you are running the non-Admin version of Designer (refer to the Python tool documentation: Python Tool (alteryx.com)). I tested this by running Designer Non-Admin 2022.1 on a machine without elevated rights and I was able to download the package without issue. 

taylor_butler_0-1663161410593.png

Hope that helps!

Taylor

Labels