Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to setup a secure connection with AWS MySQL (RDS)

_hans1
7 - Meteor

I would like to setup a secure connection with a MySQL database hosted in RDS from Amazon Web Services. 

AWS provides only one PEM file (see: http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS/latest/UserGuide/CHAP_MySQL.html#MySQL.Concepts.SSLSupport) but the MySQL ODBC connecter in Alteryx provides 6 input options and the one PEM file provided by AWS does not work with it.

I did found on stackoverflow (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5880503/mysql-connection-using-odbc-5-1-with-ssl) the followoing remark:

Only fill out the fields:

• 'SSL Key' (c:\path_to\client-key.pem)
  • 'SSL Certificate' (c:\path_to\client-cert.pem)
  • 'SSL Certificate Authority' (c:\path_to\ca-cert.pem)

Has anyone experience with this / done it? Any suggestions how to do it?

Thanks for any help!

Cheers,

Hans

9 REPLIES 9
danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi Hans,

I have tested on our own environment and the following works in regards to connecting - remember the "Verify SSL certificate" checkbox. Please let me know if it works for you.

Skærmbillede 2016-02-09 kl. 17.51.30.png

Best regards,

Daniel

_hans1
7 - Meteor

Hi Daniel, thanks, this works indeed! (took me some time to find the time to test it ;-).

Cheers,

Hans 

pkkrish22
7 - Meteor

Hi Daniel,

i tried your approach but it was not working. i have only RSA private key to connect to the server. please let me known what to do and also let me know how to get SSL certificate Authority file. but i can connect from MYSQL Work bench using Standard TCP/IP over SSH connection method. i did not see that type of method in Mysql ODBC connector. how to get that, please help

Capture1.PNG

danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi,

I am not sure the ODBC driver for MySQL support what you are trying to do - is this a RDS instance on AWS?

When you connect via SSH you basically connect to the server running the MySQL DB and then do a connection to localhost.

Best,

Daniel

pkkrish22
7 - Meteor

i did not get what to you told, Can you please elaborate. i need to connect to AWS RDS MYSQL DB instance from Alteryx, let me know how to do that

danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi,

Okay - I do not understand why you wan't to create the connection over SSH. When you create a RDS instance of MySQL you get a username and password.

Best,

Daniel

pkkrish22
7 - Meteor

yes i have the db instance name and username and password for that DB instance. but how to connect to Alteryx with those ? we need to create a connection first rite between the AWS and Alteryx

danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi,

Please try with the configuration in this thread that is marked as a solution.

If that does not work please provide a screenshot of the configuration as well as the error message.

Daniel

mgonjari
5 - Atom

Where will I get MySQL ODBC connecter  in latest version.

I am trying to connect Mysql on AWS to alteryx.

Labels