Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Fill Space in URL

ZoeM
8 - Asteroid

Hello Community.

I have a rather simple but interesting issue.

I have URLs coming in and some of them have spaces which is causing my output in QlikView to not function for some of the results.

I am wondering if I can fill those spaces with '%20' but the 20 is falling off and just leaving the percent sign and subsequently causing the URL to not work.

Any ideas how I can do this? I have also tried using the '_' but that also messes the URL up.

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@ZoeM in a formula tool, would something like this work? Replace([YourField]," ","%20")

ZoeM
8 - Asteroid

I just tried that and it is not working either. And it is affecting my URL by replacing some of the characters once it loads in QVW, strangely. 

I have tried removing it to see if my characters return in the URL and they do.

Any other thoughts?

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

If you increase the size of the string using a select tool, does the replace([url],' ','%20') option work?

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

That's an interesting one @ZoeM, i'd have thought the formula @patrick_digan and @OllieClarke put forward would be fine? Could you try and replicate the issue on a subset of your data and attach it?

Regards,

Jonathan

ZoeM
8 - Asteroid

So...

When I run the workflow the '20' falls off and I remain with only the '%'. So not sure why that is happening? 

My main issue is that those blank spaces are splitting my URL and is not being recognized. Oh and this is an xml link, I didn't mention that. 

ZoeM
8 - Asteroid

I didnt mention that this is an XML link, doe sit make a difference?

ZoeM
8 - Asteroid

Thanks Team! I have one half the battle. The power of RegEx worked, the below thread was helpful.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Replacing-specific-text-with-a-space/t...

Going to fight the battle now in QVW.

Thanks again

mooreriley1865
5 - Atom

I was facing a similar issue with a hyperlink in an email. Adding double quotes fixed my issue. It did add the quotes in the resulting text, but might try that.

i.e.

"C:\why spaces\" worked for me.

Labels