Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Extracting e-mail address from string

crefsgaard
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I have a column of data containing strings that could look like this: "asiofma jdskvs dskcv word1 ronny@gmail.com word2 cmnbaiuo kvlnvlksdm" or "jdskvbdsj apsfmkl word1 carl@hotmail.com word2 bafff b jkd paokf", where word1 and word2 will always be the same. Any idea how I can extract the e-mail addresses from these strings? I have tried some versions of "Findstring" and "Substring", but it seems that I cannot find the right approach.

Thanks a lot in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Try a RegEx tool or one of the RegEx formulas in the Formula tool!

RegEx tool: Choose the Parse method, then type the following expression: .*word1\s(.*)\sword2.*

This will look for word1, then a space, then a marked group containing whatever comes before a space + word 2. Your new parsed field will just show the email address.

Formula tool: Formula = RegEx_Replace([Field1],".*word1\s(.*)\sword2.*","$1")

Similar to the parsing method in the RegEx tool, but you indicate that you want to keep only the 1st marked group ($1) in your output.

Alternatively, you could do a formula method using a couple Replace formulas to replace the word1 & word2 with a delimiter (such as Replace([Field1],"word1 ","|") and Replace([Field1]," word2","|") , then you could use the Text To Columns tool to split up the field on the delimiter |. This would give you your email address in the second column, with words on either end of word1 & word2 in the other two columns.

Hope one of these methods helps you out! :)

Cheers,

NJ

asad175
5 - Atom

Here you can find A Utility method with step by step guide and a Utility Method to Get All Email Addresses From a String.

Labels