Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Excel output to powerpoint with formating

danjohnsonM
8 - Asteroid

Hi

I have to build a pack which we currently run a macro for which screen shots the data in the excel sheet and then pastes it into a power point, we were wondering if there is any way of alteryx doing this?

I have attached the excel sheet along with the power point output. Any help would be greatly appreciated or if there is an alternative way of doing this?

Thanks Dan 

3 REPLIES 3
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

First the good news: you can use Alteryx reporting tools to output formatted tables to PowerPoint slides.

The bad news: using "Base Alteryx" (no R/Python/3rd party software, no Run Command, etc.), you will only be able to read the cell data from an Excel file and not a formatted image.

This means that you'll need to build these formatted table in Alteryx. I have done this in the attached example to show how this can be done. Once the tables are built, then you can render them to PowerPoint and they will be inserted to slides as images. 

danjohnsonM
8 - Asteroid

Hi

Is there a way to use run command? It is for a larger pack overall (1200 slides) so formatting would take a long time)

Any further help would be greatly appreciated

Regards Dan

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Years ago when I needed to take images from Excel and insert/position them in PowerPoint slides, I did it all with VBA. I added a "Make Slides" button in the Excel workbook that created all the graphics which opened PowerPoint and got to work. VBA will definitely be involved here as it controls both applications with all the functionality you're looking for.

That being said, you could use a Run Command tool to run cscript.exe and execute the VBScript. 

Labels