Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Error with Output to TAB File (Error: 3)

Vlad_Dakev
5 - Atom

Hello,

I'm trying to output some spatial data to a TAB (MapInfo Table) file, but I am receiving a very generic error that I need some help with. See below workflow and error message:

Alteryx_Error.PNG

Anyone have any idea why this may be happening or what it means? I need to output to some sort of standard spatial file, and I am not sure why the workflow is failing to write to the TAB file. I have tried writing to a shapefile instead, but those are limited to 2 GB in Alteryx. I am not aware of any size restriction on TAB files, so I don't believe that is the issue here. 

Thanks in advance for any help or tips. 

4 REPLIES 4
CConwell
6 - Meteoroid

I've experienced this same issue in the past.  Typically it is due to the number of columns in the data from my experience.  You might try reducing the number of columns being written as a test.  I haven't had an issue with the number of rows until I tried to open the tab file in MapInfo, which really didn't like the number of rows that I had written, but that isn't an Alteryx problem.

I realize it's a couple of weeks late for a response. :)

jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

it's been a while since i've worked with TAB files, but i think they can only handle 1 type of spatial object at a time. Easy test though. do you have a polygon and line/point object in the same field?

CConwell
6 - Meteoroid

I just did a quick test of this since I had some data available to verify multiple spatial object types, and MapInfo will open a file with multiple spatial types. The issue I was researching is an issue that MapInfo 16+ tab files won't open in Alteryx, which is an open development item.

Vlad_Dakev
5 - Atom

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I took a quick look at my workflow and I'm trying to output 22 total columns (2 of which are Spatial Objects), with roughly 1M rows. I took your advice and reduced the number of columns to 19. I then ensured all the data types were appropriate for the respective columns in order to minimize storage requirements. 

After running the workflow, it successfully outputs now to a tab file! Thanks for your suggestion - much appreciated! 

Labels