Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic input tool

jonathanogrady
8 - Asteroid

Hello fellow Alteryx fans!

I'm trying to use the dynamic input tool to upload hundreds of text files, but I'm hitting a brick wall for some reason.

Each of the text files is located behind an individual zip file. So the typical format would be:

Directory\file_1.zip -> file_1.txt
Directory\file_2.zip -> file_2.txt
Directory\file_3.zip -> file_3.txt

I am using the directory input tool to target the specific folder. How should I configure the dynamic input tool to download and join each of the files which are in exactly the same format?

As always, community help very much appreciated!

Best wishes,

Jonathan

8 REPLIES 8
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Ok, so here's how I do it:

From the Directory tool output, use a Select tool to remove everything except [Fullpath] and [Filename] - this step is not strictly necessary.

You now have to update [Fullpath] to look like below. I did it by replacing the 'zip' in [Filename] with 'txt' and updating [Fullpath] with the formula:

[FullPath]+'|||'+[FileName]

Now you can use [Fullpath] as the input field for the dynamic input tool.

See workflow attached.

dynamic input zip files.png

jonathanogrady
8 - Asteroid

Your genius! Sometimes it's the simple things that give us the most trouble!

Very much appreciated! Jonathan

jonathanogrady
8 - Asteroid

David,

A quick supplemental question for you… How do you handle it if the text file is inside a zipped file, which is itself part of a larger zipped file?

It seems that simply targeting include subdirectories won't handle this…

Best wishes,

Jonathan

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I don't know that Alteryx can handle this - I certainly think it's beyond the dynamic Input tool's capabilities. 

All I can think of is to use a Run Batch Command tool to unzip the larger zip file with a dos command and then use the workflow above to extract the data from the remaining zip files.

With the Run Batch tool, you can construct a DOS command in a formula tool that can be executed by the Run Batch Tool

Perhaps someone cleverer than me will have a better suggestion.

jonathanogrady
8 - Asteroid

David,

Many thanks for giving this your consideration. I'll find some work around!

Best wishes,

Jonathan

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Ok, so I played around with it a bit, and came up with this:

I created a zip file containing 3 zip files that contain 1 txt file each - zip.zip, which in my case is stored here: C:\users\davidp\downloads\zip\zip.zip

The Text input file defines the location of zip.zip and the start of the dos command that will unzip zip.zip using 7-zip, which I have installed.

In the formula tool I then construct the full dos command which first changes directory to the Alteryx temp folder by using [Engine.TempFilePath] and then calls the 7-zip command

This command is then executed with the Run Batch Command Tool.

I then used a block until done and join tool to hold the workflow until the files are unzipped.

After this, I call a simple batch macro that uses the directory tool to read the .zip files in the temp folder.

Then, as before, I use the dynamic input tool to extract the data from the txt files in the individual zip files.

I hope this is useful to you, but I had fun playing with it anyway!

zip within zip.png

JohnR
7 - Meteor

Thank you!

shnbrb
7 - Meteor

Hi David - Thanks for providing this, I found it really helpful in my workflow, however I did find that it would error if i had non-alphanumeric characters in the filenames in the .zip.

I found that replacing the second line in the R code with the below fixed that.

out<- paste0("'",unzip(file.path(FilePathIN$FullPath), list = TRUE),"'")

Labels