Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Dynamic Input on Multiple Zip Files

Link86
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I am pulling in multiple zip files what are actually alteryx workflows from a directory and parsing them as .csv files. However, when I am using the dynamic input tool, I am getting the error Choose a file to read.

The directory path is set to the folder that contains all of the .csv files.

The dynamic input path is set to the same folder but selecting the very first file. I am reading a list of data sources with the setting Field: FullPath and Action: Change entire file path.

Can someone please help me understand why I am getting the error?

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
KOBoyle
11 - Bolide

@Link86 here is a link to a response on this topic.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/How-to-open-multiple-zip-files-with-In...

The key thing is that you need to concatenate '|||<filename>.csv' to the full path. The syntax is similar to the tab name of an Excel file. If you run into any other obstacles, I have processed multiple zip files using a batch macro to handle them one at a time. 

Link86
8 - Asteroid

This doesn't work. Using that workflow I am gettin g errors. Unable to Open archive.

What is zipped is not a CSV file either. It is an alteryx workflow .yxdb. They are being imported as CSV so that I can work with the XML. This is where I am getting the error from the original statement.

Thank you

KOBoyle
11 - Bolide

@Link86  Upon closer look at your inquiry, I don't think you can accomplish this with the Dynamic Input Tool. I recall that was my first approach too. I ended up having to create a batch macro to process multiple compressed files. I have attached an example of a workflow and batch macro. 

In the main workflow, you need a formula to concatenate the full path with '|||' and the file name of the compressed file, whatever the type (it can be a .yxdb).

Workflow.jpg

In the macro, you substitute the formula derived string into the standard Input tool.

Batch Macro.jpg

If you download the package, saving it to 'C:\Alteryx\Test' will avoid having to update the file references.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Link86 

.yxdb files are not zipped files or csv files.  These are data files stored in a proprietary format known only to Alteryx.  the only way that I've found to open them is using an Input (or Dynamic Input) tool set to .yxdb format.  In your case, the inner file type in your zip config should be set to .yxdb

Dan

Link86
8 - Asteroid

You are right, that was a typo. Alteryx Packaged Files .yxzp (what is downloaded from the gallery).

Labels