Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Drop/Create Tables in Athena

Barry_Cooper
5 - Atom

Hi, 

I have a sql script which runs each morning to drop and create tables in Athena, but I'd like to replace this with a scheduled WF. Is there a way designer can do this? I wondered if I could just connect In-DB, write a short and simple SQL statement and then drop a different table, like below, but it just errored. 

Select Test.* From Test
DROP TABLE Test2;

Is there a way in Designer of creating/dropping tables from Athena? 

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
jonnyrask
8 - Asteroid

What was the error?

Barry_Cooper
5 - Atom

Hi, 

it was 

Connect In-DB (2)	Error SQLPrepare: [Simba][Athena] (1040) An error has been thrown from the AWS Athena client. Athena Error No: 130, HTTP Response Code: 400, Exception Name: InvalidRequestException, Error Message: line 5:1: mismatched input 'drop'. Expecting: ')', ',', '.', 'AS', 'CROSS', 'EXCEPT', 'FOR', 'FULL', 'GROUP', 'HAVING', 'INNER', 'INTERSECT', 'JOIN', 'LEFT', 'LIMIT', 'NATURAL', 'OFFSET', 'ORDER', 'RIGHT', 'TABLESAMPLE', 'UNION', 'WHERE', <identifier> [Execution ID: ]
jonnyrask
8 - Asteroid

With a little bit of googling - https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Issue-while-connection-with-AWS-Athena...

This isn't an Alteryx Designer issue

Sorry didn't full read through error. Your SQL doesn't make any sense.

Just do the drop statement

DROP TABLE Test2;
Barry_Cooper
5 - Atom

Sorry, should have said, that also gets much the same error

Connect In-DB (3)	Error SQLPrepare: [Simba][Athena] (1040) An error has been thrown from the AWS Athena client. Athena Error No: 130, HTTP Response Code: 400, Exception Name: InvalidRequestException, Error Message: line 1:30: mismatched input 'drop'. Expecting: '(', 'LATERAL', 'UNNEST', <identifier> [Execution ID: ]
Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels