Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Download Data from website

Mancunian
8 - Asteroid

How do I download data from the following website in the attachment using xml spare, download tool or API?

36 REPLIES 36
Mancunian
8 - Asteroid

Hi Daniel

Thank you for posting the screenshots. It has given an overall idea of how the module work.

I still can't access the data using the download tool, this maybe because I am using a much older version? Is there something I am missing from this analysis? I have only used a sample of 10 websites as the module was very slow running.

Regards

Mancunian

Input.png

Download Tool.png

Download Results.png

danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi,

Could you maybe send me your flow and I can have a look? I think you are actually are getting out the data. Could you maybe take a screenshot of the browse tool after the xml parse?

Best regards,

Daniel

Mancunian
8 - Asteroid

I've attached full Module. Hopefully you will be able to open it as it is an older version of Alteryx we are using.

danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Ahh. I found the problem. You have used the "text to columns" tool instead of the "XML Parse" tool. Is that not available in your version?

Best regards,

Daniel

Mancunian
8 - Asteroid

Thank you Daniel. I was using the wrong tool. I have changed it to xml parse and I now have access to all the data. Thank you for your prompt responses!

danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

You are very welcome. Could you please mark the topic as solved?

Best regards,

Daniel

Mancunian
8 - Asteroid

I just had an additonal question about the Download tool.

The list of websites I sent were extarcted from this website http://ratings.food.gov.uk/open-data/en-GB using the 'View Source' option in IE.

Is it possible for the download tool to extarct the data straight from the Main website?

danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi,

That is indeed possible. You can use the url as the input for another download tool and then parse the Download Data using the XML tool defining the "tr" as the "Specific child name".

You also need to specify a User-Agent in the header which could look something like:

Name: User-Agent
Value: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/47.0.2526.73 Safari/537.36

Do you have the option to upgrade your Alteryx? That would make it a lot easier to send examples ect.

Best regards,

Daniel

Mancunian
8 - Asteroid

Hello Daniel

We are looking in to upgrading to a newer version of Alteryx but that might not be until the New Year. It would make using this forum easier as most people seem to be on an advanced version of Alteryx.

I have attached my attempt at downloading the data straight from the source. I think my Download Tool does not have the feature you mentioned i.e. User Name and Agent. Is there an alternative method?

danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi again,

Sound good - I bet that will make your life a lot easier.

Do you have a tab on your download tool saying "Headers"? It should look something like this.

Skærmbillede 2015-12-09 kl. 14.18.37.png

I also figured that it is a lot easier to use "td" as the first child.

Best regards,

Daniel

Labels