Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

DataVerse Output Tool

AGR8
5 - Atom

I am brand new to the DataVerse Input/Output tools, so hoping someone has some troubleshooting experience with this...

I am attempting to overwrite an existing DataVerse table and have a DataVerse Output tool set to Overwrite. The tool will clear all the data in my DataVerse table, so I know it is making the connection to the table, but when sending my dataset to DataVerse I get the error message "Failed to insert records 1-628: Bad request syntax or unsupported method.."

AlteryxIssue.jpg

I have a DataVerse Input tool on this same workflow that will pull in the data from this table and read it. I have checked the data types, they are all V_W String and the data types I have all set to V_W String, so I know it is not a datatype mismatch. Has anyone else experienced this. Is there something I'm missing here?

3 REPLIES 3
JakubSt
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @AGR8 , this error message may be caused by a mismatch in the field names you entered in Dataverse Output. Basically what can happen is, that when Dataverse Input reads the field names, Dataverse API sends "user friendly" names - for example "Client Address". This is what Dataverse Input then displays.

However, from the Dataverse Output, the API expects "technical names" of these fields, which could be e.g. "client_address" - so if you enter "Client Address" (that you earlier got from Dataverse Input), it results in a "bad syntax" error.

I'm not an expert in MS Dataverse, but I think this forum post describes how to get the underlying field names: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Dataverse/Common-Data-Service-Field-Names/m-p/318093

Jakub S., Technical Product Manager, Data Connectors
AGR8
5 - Atom

@JakubSt, I took your advice and attempted to update the display name fields pulling into Alteryx as the technical name in the Dataverse output (e.g., employeename = display name; cr9fe_employeename = technical name). I still have the same "bad syntax" error and the data is wiped out of my Dataverse table. In addition to that, I went and double checked all of the character count for each field to be sure they matched and same issue.

Larissaah
7 - Meteor

Teamwork to the rescue!

We took a very wild stab at this, thinking maybe this was similar to this bug logged for the Power BI Output tool.

So we added a Data Cleansing tool before the output, and checked the options to replace all NULLs with Blanks (string fields) and 0 (numeric fields). We didn't have any numeric fields in the incoming data, so we didn't put much faith in that being the answer, but to our surprise, it did fix the issue.

Hoping Alteryx can identify & resolve a similar bug in this tool!

Labels