Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Converting to 24 Hour time format

Blondek
7 - Meteor

Morning all, 

A bit of a sticky one here - I've got a string field I'd like to convert to Date in 24 hour format. 

The data looks like this: 

Blondek_1-1585219873584.png

I've started by using the DateTime Parse tool, which looks as though it has worked fine, now I need to write a formula that will take the AM/PM field and convert the Time into 24 hours accordingly. 

Can anyone please help?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Blondek,

Do you want to combine the data and time into a datetime value (with time in 24 hour format) or leave date and time separate (as they currently are, just with time in 24 hour format?)

Regards,

Jonathan

Blondek
7 - Meteor

Hi @Jonathan-Sherman 

I'd like to create leave the date and time separate columns, but convert the Time in 24 hour format, so that 02:30:32 PM is simply 14:30:32.

Thanks in advance, 

Matt

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Blondek,

This formula should achieve that:

IF [AM/PM] = 'PM'
THEN DateTimeAdd('1970-01-01 ' + [Time of Usage], 12, 'hours')
ELSE [Time of Usage]
ENDIF

image.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know!

Regards,

Jonathan

Blondek
7 - Meteor

Hi @Jonathan-Sherman 

Thanks - almost there! After I pop this formula in, I get this: 

Blondek_0-1585221430825.png

I wonder if its the DateTimeAdd that doesnt work with this one...

Thanks, 

Matt

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Blondek,

Could you check your data type is a Time and not a DateTime? It's likely that's the issue. If it isn't you may need to use a select tool to change it to a Time data type.

image.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know!

Regards,

Jonathan

Blondek
7 - Meteor

Ah, @Jonathan-Sherman that's the problem! I had it in DateTime. 

Legend! Thank you! 

ayush_jajodia
5 - Atom

Hi guys,

i saw this page and found it useful. However i observed an anomaly with this text and the solution is:

IF [AM/PM] = 'PM' && Left([Time of Usage],2)!='12'

THEN DateTimeAdd('1970-01-01 ' + [Time of Usage], 12, 'hours')
ELSE [Time of Usage]
ENDIF

if you have a time, lets say, 12:43pm, you don't wanna convert it to 00:43 as it is already PM. the above addition sorts this out.

saltysnax
5 - Atom

Hi, just a thought, with the && Left([Time of Usage],2)!='12' part of IF [AM/PM] = 'PM' && Left([Time of Usage],2)!='12'

Wouldn't that make midday 2400, and midnight 1200 because midday = 12pm and midnight is 12am?

ankur13agrawal
6 - Meteoroid

What is time is 12:36:00 PM,it will still add 12 hours to it and I guess which is not require

and also what if it is 12:30:00 AM

Labels