Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Comparing fields for similar data and group together

RohanSheth
5 - Atom

I am trying to group together fields based on the similarity of data. Please see below for an example of what I'm trying to accomplish:

DATA:

TransactionEmployee1Employee2Employee3Employee4Employee5
CC1X  XX
CC2X   X
CC3 XX  
CC4 XX  
CC5X  XX
CC6 XX  
CC7 X   
CC8 XX  
CC9X  X 
CC10X  XX
CC11XXXXX
CC12XXXXX

My goal is for the workflow to look through the transactions that the employees are assigned to and group them together if they are similar by a certain parameter (hopefully a percentage). So for the above sample data, Employee1, 4, and 5 are pretty similar. So I would like the workflow to return these Employee fields and group them together. Similarly, Employee 2 and 3 are a close match so these should be a separate group if possible.

The data that I am ultimately trying to create groups with is much larger than the sample above, so it would be nice to have a tool setup to group these automatically. I've looked into using the Fuzzy Match and Make Group tools in conjunction, but I am unsure if the scope of the tools fit what I'm trying to do. If it is, how would I configure the tools based on the sample above?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
neilgallen
12 - Quasar

You can use the fuzzy match and make group tools to do what you want. Ultimately you'd want a transaction string for each employee, and compare the strings to see how similar they are. The attached workflow is a start. You'd have to adjust the match percentages in order to meet your needs.

Fuzzy matching is an art, not science.

RohanSheth
5 - Atom

Ok now I get it. So I needed to format it correctly by concatenating and transposing for the fuzzy joins to work. From the output, I can definitely group them together based on my preferences.

Definitely an art that would be neat to master 🙂 Thank you!

Labels