Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Combining multiple rows for 1 record

Phermes1
7 - Meteor

I'm struggling with this one and I'm hoping someone has a better approach.

In the attached example, I have a report that has 3 separate rows for every record.

I need several fields off of each of those rows, and I need to output them as a single row into Excel.

The only key identifier for each record is Reference Number, and it only exists in the first row of the record.

I typically do this using the multi-row function. That works fine for just a few fields, but in this case I'm going to have to do it with a LOT of fields, so all of those multi-row functions will start to accumulate on my workflow. I'm wondering if there isn't a simpler, more efficient way of accomplishing the same thing.

Any help is appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Phermes1 

I would suggest using a multi-row tool to assign each group of rows an Record ID and a Row ID (so for the first one, 1 for all 3 rows as the record ID and 1, 2, and 3 as the Row IDs). Then you'd likely need to parse each row separately, it appears to be a fixed width file. Once the rows are all parsed you can join together based on the record ID. 

Phermes1
7 - Meteor

Oooooh - I like this idea! And that sounds pretty easy to do too! Thanks!

RogerS
Alteryx
Alteryx

You can use the attach macro and set the records per group to 3.  This will create the grouping field you need out of the D anchor.

Labels