Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Change a user variable in an analytic app by using interface tools?

dasbell
5 - Atom

I have a workflow that has a user variable used throughout and now I am wanting to turn the workflow into an analytic app. Is it possible to change a user variable using the interface tools in an analytic app? If so, could someone give me a simple example?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @dasbell 

Here is a very simple example using the Text Box and Action tools, to update a Text Input:

DavidSkaife_2-1673265384458.png

DavidSkaife_1-1673265356789.png

I've attached the workflow for you to look at; as it's an app you'll need to right click and edit as double clicking will run it.

Also have a look through the training here for more info - https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/tkb-p/interactive-lessons/label-name/Creating%2...

DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @dasbell this is absolutely possible. Once you have brought the relevant interface tool onto the canvas, you just need to link an Action tool to each place where the variable occurs and needs replacing. After adding Action tools, they just need to be configured so that they ONLY replace the variable and nothing else (especially if it appears within things like formulae). See here, we have two locations where we want the entered agent name to appear so we link the Text Box where the end user will input this, to 2 Action tools that update our initial field (Text Input), and the new field being created that will act as an email sign-off:

DataNath_0-1673265429440.pngDataNath_1-1673265436053.png

Action tool 1 - Ensure 'Replace a specific string' is ticked so we can reduce the target down to ONLY the part we need swapped out:

DataNath_2-1673265477455.png

Same in Action tool 2:

DataNath_4-1673265550877.png

Now when we run the app with our end-user input:

DataNath_5-1673265580098.png

Hope this helps - please do shout up if you need further help!

Labels