Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Batch Macro - File Must be Specified

JeremyN
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I'm looking to pull the same tab from many .xlsb files from a same directory, perform the same cleansing steps on the data from each file and combined all of the cleansed data.  Batch Macros seem like they should be able to handle this, but when I try to run my workflow, which has a directory tool feeding a fullpath into a batch macro, I receive a 'File Must be Specified' error.  My Macro consists of an input, update value with the file name selected, and input data tool, and then my data cleansing steps that apply to each file, before a final output tool.  Any guidance on what may be causing this issue?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@JeremyN Do you have a sample workflow, macro and file that you can share? It would help take a look at this issue.

Digan
Alteryx
PeterS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @JeremyN ,

A batch macro can certainly handle your use case. Another option that might work that does not require a batch macro is the Dynamic Input tool .  As long as each of the sheets have the same schema the Dynamic Input tool should do the trick allowing you to make all the edits at once. I have attached an example workflow (2018.4) that shows how this can be done.  Hope this helps!

Peter Stoddard
Manager, Technical Account Management
Alteryx, Inc.

JeremyN
8 - Asteroid

It's actually kind of hard to share this file while providing sample data, but I was able to resolve the issue. 

One simple thing that was throwing me off when working with macros is that you may update the macro, but if you try to run a workflow referencing the macro before you save your updates, the workflow won't see them.  Remember to save your macro before running another workflow that references it!

Labels