Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Allocating requested dedicated sort/join memory would be more than physical memory

LinhNguyen
8 - Asteroid

I got this error when trying to run a macro and pull data from a db. "Allocating requested dedicated sort/join memory would be more than physical memory". I tried editing user settings and workflow runtime to increase sort/join memory to 5100MB but still got the same message that Alteryx is reverting to 1680MB memory.

Does that mean my output will be incomplete? Is there any way to fix this problem?

I'm running on a 64 bit laptop with 8gb ram so I don't think my laptop memory is the main problem.

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @LinhNguyen 

Usually this is just a warning, not an error.

There might be other processes in your machine draining out your laptop memory. Have you checked this?

Another thing to consider is if your workflow uses a lot of joining/sort tools that can be memory expensive.

But I'm 99% sure that you don't have to worry about your output. Your data is untouched.

Cheers,

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @LinhNguyen 

Like @Thableaus said, this is a warning and not an indication that your process will only partially complete.  If your available RAM is used and and Alteryx needs more, it will start swapping to disk, slowing the process down, but it will complete.

Dan

ALexAn
8 - Asteroid

@Thableaus wrote:

Hi @LinhNguyen 

Usually this is just a warning, not an error.

There might be other processes in your machine draining out your laptop memory. Have you checked this?

Another thing to consider is if your workflow uses a lot of joining/sort tools that can be memory expensive.

But I'm 99% sure that you don't have to worry about your output. Your data is untouched.

Cheers,

I got the warning when I was trying to use a wild card and read multiple excel files with the same format  into a .yxdb file .

I also could see that only one file was read in .
ultimately had to union it all separately for the fear of losing data.
Is there a work around other than dealing with memory of the device?

Labels