Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

%

samxhander09
8 - Asteroid

Hi, Community!

Recently did a challenge and was able to get the desired output. However, I'm not sure this is the best way to do it? Attached for your reference and thanking you in advanced!

7 REPLIES 7
Watermark
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

@samxhander09 ,  Don't worry about a 'right' way to do it. There are countless ways to solve most of the challenges. I've done all 366 of them. My advice on the best way to approach it is to start out working on it on your own. If you 'really' feel you're stuck, glance at a few for tools and maybe general approaches, but still don't just copy the other solutions. (sneak peaks are good for this). Once you've completed it. Then go back to that challenge and actually look at a number of other solutions. Pick ones that seem to have taken very different approaches from each other. Download and open up the files that they've saved. Others will likely have done an approach close to yours, others may use tools you've never seen. As you do this more   you'll get more comfortable. But always come back to this, there is no single 'right' approach.  Best of luck. 

martinding
13 - Pulsar

Hi @samxhander09,

Good approach and the fun thing with Alteryx and the community is that there are a lot of ways to solve the same problem.

Here's another approach, and I am keen to see what others share:

martinding_0-1681445725995.png

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @samxhander09 ,

I totally agree with @Watermark and @martinding , the correct way to do it is if you get the right answer. That's the correct way. That's the most important thing.

Once you've done that, then go back and try and streamline it, but always remember you've already got the right answer and everything else is simply improving the processing speed and/or shareability. 

Remember, different situations require different tweaking, for example if you're applying the workflow to potentially large datasets, then streamlining the processing speed is probably more important than the shareability of the workflow.

If that's not the case and other people are going to use the workflow, then make it easier to understand.

Also, going back and re-doing the challenges in a different way is a great way to learn.

Enjoy!

M.

Bulien

dela_maj
5 - Atom

Thank you for this commuinty

samxhander09
8 - Asteroid

It;s nice to see how active this community is in helping out beginners such as myself. I learn a lot from this. Thank you all so much.

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@samxhander09 Another way of doing this is with few tools. The cross tab tool has the functionality to calculate the percentage , if you use that you can avoid the formula tool

binuacs_0-1681506571686.png

samxhander09
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @binuacs! Glad to see another different approach to this challenge. 

Labels