Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

replace multiple strings in a string

FlorianH
7 - Meteor

Hi there 🙂

unfortunately, I could not yet find a satisfying solution for the following problem:

I used the “Find Replace” function to match table A and table B. The order number in table B has always the same format (S-123456). Unfortunately, in table A the order number sometimes has another format (space before and/or after the hyphen or “s” instead of “S”, 5 “wrong” variants).

So before running the “Find Replace” function I want to bring the order numbers in table A into the correct format.

What would be the most elegant way to do that?

Thanks so much in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
JulioMO
9 - Comet

Hi @FlorianH 

Here goes a workflow that performs what you want.

Regards

messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@FlorianH,

Please see below:

messi007_0-1613578464827.png

Attached the workflow, 

Regards,

FlorianH
7 - Meteor

Thanks so much for the Suggestion! At the end, I only used the first formula, but that helped me a lot!

FlorianH
7 - Meteor

Hey guys,

I guess you know that: once you found a solution, new requests and problems emerge. So I need your help again.

I built the following workflow, that fits my needs very well and that is pretty simple I guess.

But there are two problems.

row 2: why is "s- " not replaced by "S-"

and much more important!

row 5: it can happen, that there are 2 S-numbers in one cell. If that happens, I want to highlight that or I even better, I want to have both S-numbers in the RegExOut1 column.

Do you have any idea how to solve that?

Thanks so much in advance!

messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@FlorianH,

Please see below:

messi007_0-1614070000707.png

it's ugly with two regex but it do the job,

Hope this helps!

Regards,

JulioMO
9 - Comet

Hi @FlorianH 

The reason why the "s- " is not replaced by the "S-" is the following. 

In your formula tool, your third step will replace the "s-" by a "S-". Therefore, when the formula tool arrives to your fifth step, it won't find any "s- " to replace.

In order to fix it, put your actual third step as step number one. For the record, you can put the fourth as number two so you avoid more problems like this and eliminate your fifth step since there is no more needed.

Regards

JulioMO_0-1614070573986.png

FlorianH
7 - Meteor

Guys, you are awesome! Thank you so much for these solutions!

Labels