Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

how to resolve this issue: The Excel archive is corrupted: shared strings root=x:sst ??

stj1120
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

I have an excel file with SAP BW Query in it. After the schedule refresh I take that file as an input to the Alteryx workflow. 

I'm getting some strange error in Dynamic Input tool as below. But, I'm able to open the excel file without any issues. 

Error: Dynamic Input (4) The Excel archive is corrupted: shared strings root=x:sst

stj1120_0-1668707106140.png

stj1120_0-1668708090046.png

Due to this, Sheet name is not showing as 'Sheet1$' in the Table or Query tab in the Dynamic Input tool. 

I cannot attach the file or the workflow as it is confidential.

Kindly check and help me with the solution.

Thanks and Best regards,

Teja.

14 REPLIES 14
leofrancia
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @bertal34 ,

Found the gremlin I think. This is because the XLSX is generated and has a prefix x: in all the tags in the Shared String XML embedded in Excel. See: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/open-xml/working-with-the-shared-string-table 

In simpler terms, Alteryx is not able to read generated Excel sheets which has the prefix "x:" (e.g. from a bot). See below for some more investigation on this. The second file which has been opened and saved in Excel manually can be read by Alteryx correctly - but I do get that the open and re-saving step is inconvenient.

I would suggest to open a support case or have this added as an "Idea" (https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Desktop-Ideas/idb-p/product-ideas).

SST.png

bertal34
8 - Asteroid

Hi @leofrancia ,

Thank you for getting back to me quickly and for the clear explanation!  How did you go about viewing those XML tags in notepad?

leofrancia
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi, @bertal34. You can open the XLSX file as a zip archive by changing the XLSX extension to ZIP.  You will get a warning that it may become unusable but you can ignore this.

Then you can navigate to .\xl\ directory where you can find sharedStrings.xml. See below for how it would look like when you are navigating the ZIP file. An XLSX file is essentially a zip archive with various contents. :)

leofrancia_0-1683766875971.png

Still
5 - Atom

you may try to change xlsx to xls and see. That's how I solve this error on my laptop

jsun_06
6 - Meteoroid

If you are generating the .xlsx file from UiPath (rpa bot) then use the Excel activities (Excel Process Scope, Use Excel File, Save Excel File As) instead of read range/write range activities.

Labels